Excellent customer service is the backbone of every successful business. No one knows that better than retail managers. So what are some things you can do to improve your customer service? Odds are you’re constantly asking yourself this, because as every great manager knows, a happy customer is a returning customer.
While handling customer service issues may vary by the type of industry, there are things that all retail managers can do to help improve it in their business. Here are 5 ways retail managers can improve customer service:
- Get to know your customers. Retail managers who work in a place that typically has the same customers over and over can improve service by getting to know them. Try to learn their names, preferences, and habits. Talk to them, calling them by their name, and get on a friendly level with them.
- Hold team meetings. All retail managers need to ensure their team is on the same page when it comes to providing customer service. Hold regular meetings and reinforce the importance of providing great customer service and what that looks like in your business.
- Give positive feedback. When you see one of your team members providing great customer service, be sure to praise them later. Employees love getting recognition from their boss, so be sure to commend them when they do a good job. They deserve to hear it and you’ll benefit from great staff morale.
- Empower your team. If you’ve clearly communicated what great customer service looks like at your business, your team members should know how to handle situations when customers aren’t completely satisfied. Give them the authority to help customers without having to constantly get permission from a supervisor.
- Look for ways to go above and beyond. When retail managers are on a mission to provide great customer service, they look for ways to go above and beyond to help customers. Look for little ways to help, because those little ways will add up and make a big difference overall.
Great customer service is the key to increasing sales, strengthening customer loyalty, and growing your business. So be smart about it. Keep these principles in mind and constantly strive to do a better job of satisfying your customers each day.