Why Words of Encouragement Matter to Your Employees
Words of encouragement for employees help to foster a company culture of positivity while boosting both employee morale and employee motivation. One thing to remember is that a motivational quote backed by a concrete action is much more effective. In the words of Benjamin Franklin the politician, "Well done is better than well said.
Why are Words of Encouragement Important?
Words of encouragement show your employees that you value them and are committed to providing a company culture that is positive. The best leaders are those that can help keep employee motivation and employee productivity high even when facing obstacles and major challenges. Simon Sinek says it best, Be the leader you wish you had.
Reasons why encouragement is important in the workplace-
1. Employee recognition and personalization- Motivate employee productivity by providing individual feedback to employees. A motivational quote can be very helpful for saying the right thing to employees without having to do the hard work of coming up with the words yourself. Instead, you can take the quotes of successful people such as Sheryl Sanberg who is a professional leader or Michael Jordan who is a sports icon.
The great thing about encouraging your employees is that it makes everyone feel good and allows an excuse to have a more personal interaction with your employees. Employee motivation will benefit when your employee feels they are being led by a leader who is wise and they will be more likely to put in hard work every time as a result.
2. Create inspiration- One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes a few words of encouragement during a challenging time can do more for employee morale than hours spent praising great work after it is completed. Get creative, find ways to incentivize your employees financially while also using words of encouragement to provide concrete action in your employee recognition technique.
3. Foster loyalty- Employee retention is positively affected when an employee feels they are part of a larger company culture that is honest and caring. An employee is more likely to engage in hard work and produce great work when they feel they are an important part of the team. In the words of the great Michael Jordan who is a well-known basketball championship winner, Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.
4. Positive reinforcement- When great employee work is rewarded not only will your employee feel more motivated to continue to produce great work but they will likely inspire those around them and create an entire shift in your company culture for the better.
One thing to make sure of is that you always align is your words with your actions. Take time to praise with your words but reinforce those words with a concrete gesture such as a small bonus or meal out. Remember to always lead by example or in the words of Steve Jobs the inventor Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
5. Helps onboard and retain great talent- When starting a new job, an employee may need extra help and support. A motivational quote can provide employee recognition while helping employee morale for new hires.
One thing to never forget is that even the most successful people need an inspirational quote every once in a while. In the words of Vincent Van Gogh the painter, I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
How to Develop an Encouraging Work Culture
For a motivational quote to inspire great work it must be part of a larger positive company culture. Ideas to help develop a company culture that is positive and productive include-
1. Radiating kindness- Create a company culture that focuses on compassion, avoids blame, fosters inspiration, and values both hard work and integrity. In the words of Mark Twain the author, Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
2. Personalized gestures- A card with a handwritten motivation quote to acknowledge great work can go a long way to provide employee recognition and add positivity to your company culture overall.
Know your audience, if someone is a political buff try these politician quotes-
"I don't pity any man who does hard work worth doing. I admire him. Theodore Roosevelt
Attitude is a little thing that makes a BIG difference. Winston Churchill
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. Abraham Lincoln
3. Celebrate together- Successful leaders know that celebrating great work can keep up employee motivation and employee morale while boosting a company culture of teamwork. Employee engagement and team building can be benefited through an inspirational quote used to celebrate your successes.
4. Teambuilding- A great team is hard to find but there are many ways that leaders can help create and maintain one. One thing to always remember is that you are just as much a part of the team and company culture as your employees are.
Remember that ultimately your employees have committed a large part of their lives to your company. As your team is your greatest investment, invest heavily in them in return. In the words of the great Maya Angelou When you learn, teach. When you get, give.
- Employee Motivation and All it's Parts
- The Top Ideas to Incentivize Employees
- Why Words of Encouragement Matter to Your Employees
- Best Strategies for Employee Motivation
- How to Improve Employee Morale and Job Satisfaction
- What is the Quality Control Circle?
- The Relationship Between Motivation and Staff Performance