Using Technology to Improve Operations Management
Over 30% of small businesses report that they spend too much time on administration. Technology and operations management can decrease the time employees spend on administrative tasks so that businesses can focus on expanding their operations and increasing their customer service capabilities.
How Technology Improves a Business
Advances in technology are completely changing the way that business is conducted. Whether you are a restaurant owner or a real estate mogul, there are virtually no professions that are not technology-based.
Instead of letting technological advances intimidate you, savvy business owners can learn how to use technology to their benefit. From social media to service operations there is endless potential to integrate technology into your existing business processes.
Improvements that technology offers a business include-
1. Safety- Workplace safety should be a business owner's top priority. Technology operations help to create the safest conditions possible for both your employees and your customers.
Human error causes a lot of workplace accidents and quality management issues. Technology bases its decision making and problem solving not on emotions, but instead on logistics.
Technology can keep consistent procedures throughout the supply chain and provide a record for reference should there be any quality or safety issues. Without technology, operations management depends on human record keeping, which necessarily leaves more room for errors.
Even a full time professional who has had a career in supply chain management cannot have the vast business analytics capability that a computer has. Service operations in supply chains should always look into the way that they can use technology to increase product and worker safety.
2. Innovation- Technology operations can provide many business innovation opportunities. Automating menial tasks through technology will provide your workers with more time to look for creative solutions and work directly with your customers.
Social media is a great technological tool for increasing business innovation best practices. Customers and clients can provide feedback and companies can use business analytics to evaluate where they can improve their services or product.
3. Communication- Technology provides the ability for people to work collaboratively all over the world. Additionally, technology opens up new markets for service operations to reach.
Instead of being limited to an immediate geographical area, social media and technology operation management advances have made communication more accessible and seamless than ever before. Global supply chains can keep consistent communication full time and project management can largely be executed from cloud based platforms.
Online employee scheduling software that makes shift planning effortless.
Try it free for 14 days.
How Technology Improves Business Operations Management
The most successful companies understand that technology affects every aspect of modern day business operations. However, it is important to remember that technology is only effective if employees understand how to use it.
With proper training, technology operations management can bring a business to the next level. There are many ways that technology can improve existing outdated business operations including-
1. Customer service- Previously, customer service relied heavily on face-to-face interactions and phone calls. Technological advances designated social media as a crucial part of the customer service experience.
Online chat, email exchanges, and social media interactions are now often the first contact points in the customer service experience. If you do not have the capability to have full time staff members available to reply to customers on social media or email, create an automated reply to let your customers know how soon you will have someone reply to their inquiries.
2. Project management- Effective business administration relies on great project management capabilities. Technology provides a platform for every team member involved in project management to easily reach one another and see real time updates on how a project is progressing.
Technological advances keep task lists clear and concise so that every team member knows what specific tasks they are responsible for and by what deadline they should be completed. Management operations are much less daunting when project managers can see exactly what has been completed and what has yet to be completed.
3. Automation- Throughout a supply chain there are many places that workers waste time on tasks that could easily be automated by computers. Supply chain management and project management can free up the time of full time staff members and save companies money in labor costs. Additionally,decision making and problem solving can be improved through technological influence.
Data entry and business analytics can not only take a lot of time, but it can also decrease employee morale and satisfaction levels. When employees are freed up from doing repetitive and unengaging tasks they can focus on business innovation and expanding their client base.
Automation throughout supply chains provides a secure and centralized record of a product, every step of the way. Not only does this simplify quality management but it provides business innovation opportunities for every employee involved.
- Why Using Restaurant Management Software is Good for Business
- 10 Ways to Improve Operational Business Processes
- Tips on How to Successfully Operate a Business
- Ways to Improve Employee Communication with a Log Book
- The Benefits of Using Shift Planning Software
- Using Technology to Improve Operations Management